Zhao Defends Title, ABSC Enjoys Podium at High School State
Georgia Tech, Feb. 9-10, 2019.
The 2018-2019 high school swim season is in the books after the conclusion of the season with the GHSA State Championship meet, February 9th and 10th at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Karen Zhao defended her state title performance this year as a sophomore in the 200 freestyle, after winning the same event in 2018 as a freshman for North Oconee High School.
While the ABSC swimmers were competing for their respective school teams over the weekend, the GHSA State Championships is a USA Swimming sanctioned meet, and our ABSC swimmers certainly made both their school teams and their club team here at ABSC very proud. *Note: All schools with ABSC swimmers competing participated in the 5A& below school size classification for GHSA.
Karen’s 200 free victory swim was clocked at 1:52.30 (though she had been 1:51.75 in prelims). This however, was two full seconds faster than her time from 2018 (and almost three seconds for the 1:51.) Zhao also brought home a silver medal in the 100 freestyle, lighting up a 51.55 time in the event. Her 200 free relay placed 7th and her 400 free relay placed 8th for North Oconee.
Jackson Harvin was ABSC’s other state champion on the weekend, placing first in the 200 IM for Jefferson High School in a time of 1:52.62 (1:51.03 in prelims). Harvin also picked up a silver medal in the 100 breaststroke, and swam a new best time of 57.87! Jackson will be a Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket next year, so he swam in his home pool.
Oconee High School received an awesome performance from freshman sensations Olivia DellaTorre and Ella Freeman. DellaTorre placed second in 1:05.55 and Freeman came in 3rd, exactly eleven 100ths of a second later in 1:05.66. With both girls only in their first year of high school, Oconee has an amazingly bright future in the women’s breaststroke.
Other podium performances included:
ABSC teammates Charlie Logan (North Oconee) and Ryan Wylie (Oconee) swapped bronze and silver medal finishes in the 200 free and 500 free, with Logan placing higher in the 200 and Wylie in the 500. The UGA-bound senior Logan had a great performance against the up-and-coming sophomore Wylie.
Lucy Yeomans of Clarke Central moved up big time to place 3rd for the gladiators in the 200 freestyle, with a new best time of 1:53.41.
Along with her breaststroke race, Olivia Dellatorre placed 3rd overall in the 200 IM, with a new best time of 2:07.68.
Macy Mullis of Madison County High School placed 3rd in the 100 backstroke, going 56.03 and serving as the only swimmer from her school represented at the state meet! She’s bringing a bronze medal back to Madison County!
Other ABSC Individual Swimmers of Note:
- Wesley Cline of Athens Academy: 10th place in the 100 fly (53:08), 10th place 100 breast (1:00.13).
- Ava Kennedy of Athens Academy: 5th place 50 free (24.30), 8th place 100 free (54.60)
- Gunnar Churchwell of Clarke Central: 14th place 100 back (1:00.12).
- Will Foggin of Clarke Central: 13th place 200 IM (2:02.49), 6th place 500 free (4:52.36).
- Lucy Yeomans of Clarke Central: 4th place 100 free (52.84) to go along with her podium finish in the 200 free written about above.
- Macy Mullis of Madison County: 4th place 50 free (24.35) to go along with her podium 100 back from earlier.
- Brynn Halbach of North Oconee: 7th place 200 IM (2:13.11), 9th place 100 back (59.54)
- Gavin Jones of North Oconee: 5th place 200 free (1:46.88), 9th place 500 free (5:51.15)
- Henry Logan of North Oconee: 4th place 500 free (4:41.97), 4th place 100 back (53.37).
- Felicia Pursner of North Oconee: 10th place 200 free (1:59.38), 12th place 100 free (55.43).
- Ella Freeman of Oconee County: 9th place 200 free (1:58.82), to go along with her podium 100 breast.
As you can see, it was quite a weekend for the ABSC Dawgs in the pool representing their high school teams. When you train with us, you can expect great things to happen. Go Dawgs!!!