Author Archives: Mike Radford
February 19th – 22nd, 2019.
With the 2019 SEC Championship Meet taking place at the Ramsey Center, ABSC’s practice schedule will be a little different Feb.19th-22nd. Read below to see your group’s schedule during that week. Things will be back to normal the following week!
Gups: Normal practice Monday and Wednesday, no practice Friday.
Pups: Normal practice Monday, no practice Wednesday, practice at the YWCO on Friday from 5-6 PM.
Superpups: Normal practice Monday, no practice Tuesday or Thursday, practice at Ramsey from 5:15-6:30 AM on Wednesday and Friday.
Dawgs: Normal practice Monday, practice from 5:15-6:30 AM at Ramsey Tuesday – Friday. **5:15-7:00 AM on Thursday**
Senior 2: Normal practice Monday, no practice Tuesday or Thursday, practice at Ramsey from 5:15-6:30 AM on Wednesday and Friday.
Senior 1: Normal practice Monday, practice from 5:15-6:30 AM at Ramsey Tuesday-Friday. **5:15-7:00 AM on Thursday**
Masters: Normal practice Monday, Wednesday, and Sunday. 5:15-6:30 AM at Ramsey on Tuesday, 5:15-7:00 AM at Ramsey on Thursday.
Thanks everyone, and GOOO DAWGS!!! (Both the ABSC and UGA variety).
Athens Ga — 2/1/2019
As the high school swimming down for the 2018/2019 season, the schools from the Athens/Oconee area came together for their annual area championship. Once again, ABSC swimmers impressed, with names to be found all over the leader boards!
Oconee High School came out victorious on the boys side, while North Oconee finished ahead in the ladies division. North Oconee came away with the overall victory, with a grand total of 370.5 points. Oconee County finished second, and Clarke Central, Athens Academy, Cedar Shoals, and Prince Avenue finished out the scoring in that order.
Below is a list of ABSC Swimmers and their accomplishments for each school! It was an awesome show.
- Wesley Cline: 3rd in the 100 fly, 2nd in the 100 breast. Both best times, and both state qualifying times
- Daniel Huang: 4th in the 200 free, 4th in the 100 fly. The 200 free was a state time
- Colton Kennedy: 6th in the 50 free, 7th in the 100 fly.
- Trent Dennison: 12th in the 50 free, 8th in the 100 back.
- Anna Schmidt: 10th in the 100 free, 5th in the 100 back
Clarke Central High School
- Connor Allen: 7th in both the 200 IM and 500 free
- Harrison Carmack: 9th in the 200 IM, 10th in the 100 breast
- Gunnar Churchwell: 7th in the 200 free, 5th in the 100 back
- Anna Demarco: 7th in the 200 IM, 16th in the 100 free
- Bella Demarco: 14th in the 100 free, 9th in the 500 free
- Will Foggin: 2nd in the 200 free, 5th in the 100 fly. 200 free was a state qualifying time.
- Lauren Haines: 9th in the 200 free and 100 fly
- Gretchen Hinger: 8th in the 50 free, 3rd in the 500 free
- Ben Hiss: 5th in the 200 IM, 4th in the 100 breast. The 100 breast was a state qualifying time.
- Lucy Yeomans: 1st in the 100 fly, 3rd in the 200 IM. Both were state qualifying times
- Makenna Engels: 3rd in the 100 fly, 2nd in the 100 back. The fly was a state time.
- Brynn Halbach: 2nd in the 200 IM and 100 breast. The 200 IM was a state qualifying time
- Gavin Jones: 1st in both the 200 IM and 100 back. Both were state times.
- Siya Kanaan: 2nd in the 100 fly, 5th in the 200 free. The fly was a state time
- Sam Krosner: 3rd in the 200 IM, 2nd in the 500 free. The IM was a state time.
- Aidan Landrum: 4th in the 500 free, 8th in the 200 free.
- Henry Logan: 3rd in the 200 free, 2nd in the 100 back. Both were state times.
- Charlie Logan: 1st in both the 100 fly and 100 breast. Both were state times.
- Bella Lyons: 5th in the 100 fly, 8th in the 100 free.
- Simone Phillips: 18th in the 100 free, 10th in the 100 breast
- Felicia Pursner: 1st in the 100 free, second in the 200 free. Both were state times.
- Katherine Xiao: 4th in the 200 IM, 3rd in the 100 breast
- Karen Zhao: 1st in the 50 free and 500 free. Both were state times.
- Olivia DellaTorre: 1st in the 200 IM and 100 breast. Both were state times
- Will Donaldson: 11th in the 200 free, 12th in the 100 breast
- Ella Freeman: 1st in the 200 free, 2nd in the 500 free. Both were state times.
- Erin Leonard: 4th in the 100 fly, 6th in the 100 back
- Ryan Wylie: 1st in the 200 free and 500 free. Both were state times
- Maddy Wilson: 10th in the 50 free, 6th in the 100 breast.
I hope you’re hungry!
Continuing our monthly tradition, ABSC families can get ready to throw down on some good grub again soon at our local Jason’s Deli here in 2019! Dates may move around, but the tradition continues. Below, you’ll the remaining dates for our Winter/Spring 2019 Deli Dawg team dinners.
- January: Monday the 28th
- February: Monday the 25th
- March: Monday the 18th
- April: Monday the 15h
So you’re up to speed, here is a working list of the swimmers that we’ve honored as our
“Deli Dawg” swimmers of the month so far!
Sept: Jack Kirkland (Gups), Carson Yeomans (Pups), Sierra Pape (Superpups), Anna Claire Adolphson (Dawgs), Brandon Hailey (Senior 2), Gavin Jones (Senior 1).
Oct: Reagan Gilmore (Gups), Charlie Graff (Pups), Martha Kyle Bates (Superpups), Austin Ackerman (Dawgs), Lauren Haines (Senior 2), Will Foggin (Senior 1).
Nov: Patrick Coverdill (Gups), Kayden Hudson (Pups), Parker Fagrell (Superpups), Charlotte Foggin (Dawgs), Aisha Schulz (Senior 2), Macy Mullis (Senior 1).
Dec: Nora Schindler (Gups), Vidur Karumbaiah (Pups), Jack Yu (Superpups), Ben Hiss (Dawgs), Christian Honeycutt (Senior 2), Jackson Harvin (Senior 1).
GO DAWGS! Let’s Eat!
Dec 7-9, 2018. Athens, Atlanta, Greensboro.
With several Senior 1 swimmers emerging over the last 12 months for ABSC, Coach Martin was able to take a group of 5 swimmers to the Winter Junior National Championships in Greensboro, North Carolina!
Coach Stephanie from the Senior 1 group took another bunch of our 15&over swimmers to the Senior State meet at Georgia Tech over the weekend, and the remainder of our staff stayed with the rest of our team here in Athens for the 7th Annual Classic City Quad, which is an annual showdown between ABSC, Aiken-Augusta, Swim Atlanta, and Dynamo.
ABSC responded to it’s split team and split staff by posting crazy fast swims all over the Southeast, with countless personal best times and strong swims leading to some very happy swimmers and coach. Below is a quick recap of some of the key performances from each meet over the weekend.
Junior Nationals – Greensboro, NC
For the first time in years, ABSC was able to bring a group of five Senior 1 swimmers to Winter Junior Nationals. Jackson Harvin, Charlie Logan, Macy Mullis, Ryan Wylie, and Karen Zhao made the trip to Greensboro for the event.
- Jackson Harvin had a breakout meet for the Dawgs in Greensboro, posting huge personal best times in both the 200 free (1:38.93), and the 200 IM (1:48.99). He made finals in both races.
- Charlie Logan made finals in the 400 IM and 200 back, going best times in both. The 400 IM was a blazing fast 3:55.52, and a personal best by almost 5 seconds!
- Macy Mullis raced to a very strong 55.35 in her favorite event, the 100 back, and also brought a lightning-fast 24.70 in the 50 free.
- Distance ace Ryan Wylie swam to two personal bests in both the 500 free (4:33.29) and the 1650 free (15:56.58).
- Karen Zhao sprinted to a personal best in the 50 free (24.62) and swam a very solid 200 and 100 free as well.
Georgia Senior State Champs – Atlanta, Ga
14 other swimmers from the Senior 1 group made it to Senior State meet: Jackson Bates, Caedmon Churchwell, Olivia Dellatorre, Will Foggin, Brynn Halbach, Bean Holloway, Gavin Jones, Siya Kanaan, Ava Kenendy, Henry Logan, Felicia Pursner, Sarah Riley, Emily Schulz, and Lucy Yeomans.
- Sarah Riley paced the group with 64 points scored in the meet, the most by an ABSC swimmer still in our age group swimmer (Natalie Hinds scored 96 for ABSC, but she’s a college grad who swims in our post-grad group). Riley’s highest finish was 4th overall in the 200 butterfly, where she swam to a blazing fast 2:05.84.
- Olivia Dellatorre was next in line with points scored, gaining 38 for ABSC at the meet. Olivia’s highest finish was 3rd overall in the 200 breast, but she also finished 7th in the 100 IM with a super fast time of 59.36!!
- For the boys, Gavin Jones and Will Foggin both found personal best times in every swim except for their last of the weekend! Jones swam to a blazing fast 200 free in 1:46.88 for a 1.5 second best time, and Foggin achieved a 4.55 second improvement in the 200 breast for a 2:18.82 overall time.
Classic City Quad Meet – Athens, Ga
The rest of our team stayed home and competed in our annual mid-season clash with Dynamo, Swim Atlanta, and Aiken-Augusta! To put it plainly, this may have been one of ABSC’s best non-championship meets ever! We achieved 63% personal best time swims, which is a very high number and almost 10% higher than last year at the same meet! With so many swimmers bringing their A-game, we’ll try to pick out a couple from each group who really put on a show.
- Gups Group: Lauren Neace and Kitty Dennison paced the girls in the Gups with three personal best times, and one new event added. Lauren dropped a whopping 16.57 seconds on her 100 IM! For the boys, Eric Li lead the way, swimming both days and achieving huge times drops each day. An impressive 34 second improvement on the 100 breast was his most impressive swim.
- Pups Group: Addie Freeman had a great meet for the Pups girls, going 8-8 personal best times, including a 16-second best time in the 100 free! Robert Chen had an awesome showing for the boys, swimming two events for the first time and dropping time on all 6 of the other events he had swum before, including a 9.59-second drop in the 50 butterfly.
- Superpups Group: Talua Best lead the Superpups girls with an awesome meet, swimming 6 for 6 on personal best times, including an 18.3 second drop in the 200 back, and a 40-second improvement in the 400 IM! Crenshaw Halbach swam to 8-8 best times, including a 21 second drop in the 100 fly, and his first state qualifying time in the 200 freestyle.
- Dawgs Group: Charlotte Foggin paced the Dawg girls with 8-8 best times, including an 11.78-second improvement in the 200 fly and 15 seconds in the 500 free. Harrison Carmack had a crazy meet for the boys, including a 27-second improvement in the 200 IM, and almost one minute, twenty second improvement in the 500 free!!! Ben Hiss also had a great meet, swimming all best times and making state in the 100 breast.
- Senior 2 Group: Madyson Hailey swam great for the girls, adding three new events to her list and dropping almost 8 full seconds in the 100 free! Christian Honeycutt rocked it on the guys side, adding four new events and going best times in his other four, including an 11.37-second improvement in the 200 breast.
- Senior 1: Emily Schulz had a fantastic meet for the girls, going six for six best times and dropping over 11 seconds in her 400 IM! Gunnar Churchwell swam very well for the guys, going 6 for 7 best times and dropping over 5 seconds in the 100 back, getting under 1 minute for the first time.
As you can see, the Dawgs were great this weekend! The good news is, the best is still yet to come! Go Dawgs!
With many college teams from around the country arriving in town tonight for the UGA Invite swim meet, we have an altered schedule this week!
Here’s the plan for each group, each day:
Wednesday, Nov. 28th:
- Gups. No Change
- Pups. Practice from 6-7 PM at Ramsey
- Supers. 6-7 PM at Ramsey
- Dawgs. 6-7:30 at Ramsey
- Senior 2. No Change
- Senior 1. 6-8 PM at Ramsey
Thursday, Nov. 29th:
- Superpups. Practice cancelled.
- Dawgs. 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey.
- Senior 2. 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey.
- Senior 1. 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey.
Friday, Nov. 30:
- Gups. Practice cancelled.
- Pups. 5-6 PM at the YWCO.
- Superpups. 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey.
- Dawgs. 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey.
- Senior 1. 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey.
Thanks everybody! Go Dawgs!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
Thanks for your patience with all of our changes to the Holiday Break training schedule!!! Here is what should be the final iteration, broken down by day, as of 12/22/18!
1. Saturday, December 22.
- Senior 1: 6:00 – 7:30 AM @ Georgia Aquatic Center
- Dawgs: 7:30 – 9:00 AM @ Georgia Aquatic Center
- Senior 2: 2:00 – 3:30 PM @ YWCO
- Superpups: 2:00 – 3:30 PM @ YWCO
2. Sunday, December 23.
- Senior 1: 6:00 – 8:00 AM @ Georgia Aquatic Center
- All other groups off.
3. Wednesday, December 26
- Senior 1: 7:00 – 9:00 AM @ Georgia Aquatic Center
- Dawgs: Now Off On the 26th!!!
- Senior 2: 4:00 – 5:30 PM @ YWCO
- Superpups: 4:00 – 5:30 PM @ YWCO
4. Wednesday, December 27
- Senior 1: 7:30 – 9:00 AM @ Georgia Aquatic Center
- Dawgs: 6:00 – 7:30 AM @ Georgia Aquatic Center
- Senior 2: 4:00 – 5:30 PM @ YWCO
- Superpups: 4:00 – 5:30 PM @ YWCO
5. Friday, December 28 & Saturday, December 29.
- Senior 1: 9:30 – 11:30 AM @ Ramsey
- Dawgs: 9:30 – 11:30 AM @ Ramsey
- Senior 2: 2:00-3:00 PM @ Ramsey
- Superpups: 2:00-3:00 PM @ Ramsey
- High School: 2:00-3:00 PM @ Ramsey
6. Sunday, December 30.
- Senior: 1 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM @ Ramsey
- Dawgs: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM @ Ramsey
7. Monday, January 31st – NYE
- Senior 1: 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM @ Ramsey
- Dawgs: 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM @ Ramsey
- Superpups: 10:30 AM -11:30 AM @ Ramsey
- Senior 2: 10:30 – 11:30 AM @ Ramsey
8. Wednesday, January 2 – Friday, January 4.
- Senior 1: 5:30 – 8:00 PM @ Ramsey
- Dawgs: 5:30 – 7:30 PM @ Ramsey
- Superpups: 5:30-7:00 PM @ Ramsey
- Senior 2: 5:30 – 7:00 PM @ Ramsey
- High School Groups: 7:00 – 8:00 PM @ Ramsey
Thanks everybody! Looking forward to seeing you soon, and Happy Holidays!
It’s T-shirt Time!
As always, ABSC swimmers will receive their yearly team t-shirt with their submission of Swim-a-Thon funds. Two years ago shirts were white, and last year’s shirts were red! This year, shirts will be black as we continue to rotate through the color scheme.
As always, ABSC families can order extra shirts in gray, red, black or white! Order forms have been emailed to the club, but you can email Mike@athensbulldogs.com to receive a form if you still need one.
Payment is due up front, and forms and payment are both due by November 27th. You can turn in your forms and cash/check, in a sealed envelope, in the following ways:
- To Mike Radford or your lead group coach at practice, or at the Swim-a-thon.
- In the mail to Mike Radford (see address on form)
- Or, emailing the form to Mike and turning in the payment in one of the above ways.
Please make checks out to “ABSC.”
It was 3:45 PM on a cool November Sunday, 2017.
The clock was slowing inching toward 4. Swimmers from the Gups, Pups, Superpups, Dawgs, Senior 2, and Senior 1 groups were filing onto the pool deck waiting for their 2017 Swim-a-thon to begin… but something was missing.
It’s one thing to swim 200 laps (or 50-100 for the youngest swimmers), but it’s another thing entirely to mentally prepare to do this WITHOUT THE COACHES! As happens every year, the coaches mysteriously disappeared just hours before the Swim-a-thon. This time, it turns out they’d be replaced by a group of TROLLS!
Of course, our swimmers completed their laps and had another fantastic Swim-a-thon event as they always do, and they did a great job raising money for the team in the process!
This year’s rendition of the Swim-a-thon will take place on Sunday, November 11th, from 4-6 PM at the Ramsey Center! Will the coaches be called to duty, abducted, get lost… who knows? But something tells me we’ll need the services of some special guest coaches once again.
The Swim-a-Thon is a USA Swimming Sponsored fundraising event for our club. As such a portion of the proceeds go to supporting the “USA Swimming Foundation,” which supports a number of items like funding the USA Swimming National Team, The “Make-a-Splash” swim lesson program, and more. Of course, most of the funds go to supporting ABSC!
Click here to read Coach Harvey’s message to the team about the Swim-a-thon! Each family is asked to donate a baseline of $150, but there are prizes for higher levels of donation! Swimmers are encouraged to ask friends and family for donations, either on a per-lap basis, or as a lump donation.
The prize levels will go as follows:
- Level 1: Baseline $150 donation per family: Team T-shirt, new silver practice swim caps!
- Level 2: $250 for a family: Party at “Rush Athens” Trampoline Park with other level 2 winners and coaches.
- Level 3: $350 for a family: “Night with the Champions.” A chance for a meet and greet, pictures, autographs, and Q&A with several members of the USA Swimming National Team, World Champions, and Even Olympians!
We are so excited for our Swim-a-Thon 2018, and we can’t wait to see you at the pool then.
We’re bringing back the swimming Turkey to announce our 2018 Thanksgiving Break Practice Schedule, the week of November 19th-23rd! We will be following the same format that we did last season, where we are off from Thanksgiving Day through the weekend. Here below is the breakdown for each practice group that week:
- Monday – Normal Practice
- Tuesday – 4:00-5:00 PM at the YWCO
- Wednesday – Sunday, off.
- Monday – Normal Practice
- Tuesday – 5:30 – 6:30 PM at Ramsey
- Wednesday – Sunday, off
Superpups/Dawgs/Senior 2/ Senior 1
- Monday & Tuesday: Normal Practice
- Wednesday: 12PM – 2PM at Ramsey.
- Thursday – Sunday, off.
Have a great Turkey week! GO DAWGS!!!
We love when our swimmers keep on swimming!
With Charlie Logan’s commitment to swim at the University of Georgia earlier this week, we thought it would be a great time to bring back our report of Dawgs swimming in college! ABSC was blessed to have 3 swimmers move on to swim in college last year, and we one more move on to join the ABSC coaching staff!
As it currently stands, ABSC has had 20 swimmers sign with college swim teams!! That’s right at 5 Seniors per year going on to swim in college after their time with ABSC. Of those 20, there are 17 that are still currently swimming on college rosters! Here they are, by their year of eligibility in college:
- Eliza Petersen – Carson-Newman University
- Anna Rose More – Georgia Southern University
- Caroline Allen – Liberty University
- Mary Claire Cardwell – University of Georgia
- Fear Churchwell – Calvin College
- Ian Hentenaar – Davidson College
- Camille Porter – Auburn University
- Madison Rogan – University of North Carolina, Asheville.
- Skylar Rogan – University of North Carolina, Asheville.
- Aidan Brook – Georgia Tech
- Danielle Dellatorre – University of Georgia
- Berklee Hawks – Berry College
- Grace Mauldin – Georgia Tech
- Alexis Shirley – Air Force Academy
- Owen Churchwell – University of Massachusettes
- Erin Osborne – Rhodes College
- John Morgan McDonald – University of the Cumberlands
Others that swam at least one season in college but moved on to other things:
- Kara Powell – Current 4th year, swam at Towson University
- Robert Wylie – Current 3rd year, swam at West Virginia University
- Annie Williamson – Current 4th year, swam at University of Georgia
It’s clear to see that ABSC has a strong tradition of athletes going on to swim in college, and this doesn’t even go back further than the last four years! There are countless others that have gone on to swim at schools all over the country.
Former Swimmers Now Coaching
One of our favorite things at ABSC is when former swimmers take their next step and join the coaching staff! This past year, Anna Ash – the 2018 Northeast Divisionals champion in the 200 freestyle – joined ABSC’s coaching staff and is one of our awesome Gups coaches!
Along with Anna, we also have Emma Lowring (Lead Pups Coach), Hannah Scarbrough (Lead Gups Coach), and Lyndsey Kalessa (Pups Coach), who serve as former ABSC swimmers on our coaching staff.
It should also be noted that while not all of our graduating seniors go on to swim in college, we are at 100% college attendance right now for all of our graduating seniors. Swimmers are routinely considered some of the most academically successful athletes, and our college attendance rates show why!
Looking forward to a bright future with many more ABSC college swimmers to come. Go Dawgs!!