April 29th, 2019 — Athens Academy, Athens, Ga.
Each year over the last five years, ABSC has continually increased it’s success in the pool and it’s position on a national level. Just when it seemed like things might level off a bit for us in the 2019/2019 season, ABSC came through again with it’s best year yet!
This past Monday, April 29th, ABSC had the chance to celebrate our successes of the past season, present our individual award winners from each practice group, and honor 10 awesome graduating Seniors who are moving on from our club.
Below you will find a list of these accomplishments and award winners. Also, thanks to Paige Kennedy for serving as our photographer this season and putting together the slideshows. You can find our shutterfly page here with pictures from the intro slideshow, and the our senior slideshow will be posted right here soon.
Team Accomplishments from the 2018 long course season and 2018/2019 short course season
- 1st place in the large team division at 14 & Under state in February
- 5 swimmers participated at Winter Junior Nationals
- 4 swimmers invited to the Georgia Swimming LSC Select Camp
- 4 swimmers invited to the Open Water Zone Team
- 2 swimmers invited to the Long Course Georgia Zone Team
- 12 swimmers participated in the Senior Sectionals meet
- 5th place overall finish at Senior Sectionals
- And most importantly – our favorite accomplishment of all – our third consecutive championship victory in Georgia’s Northeastern Division.
Individual and Relay Team Records
1. Long Course 2018 Individual Records
- Vianney Balber 8&Under 400 free
- Ansley Nunnally 9-10 50 free, 50 back, 100 back
- Karen Zhao 13-14 100 and 200 free
2. Long Course 2018 Relay Records
- 13-14 Girls 400 Free Relay (Olivia Dellatorre, Ella Freeman, Jenna Champer, Karen Zhao)
- 13-14 Girls 200 Medley Relay (Jenna Champer, Ella Freeman, Olivia Dellatorre, Karen Zhao)
- 13-14 Boys 200 and 400 Free Relays (Gavin Jones, Will Foggin, Sam Krosner, Daniel Huang)
- 13-14 Boys 200 Medley Relay (Gavin Jones, Will Foggin, McKee Thorsen, Daniel Huang)
3. Short Course 2018/2019 Individual Records
- Parker Fagrell (11-12 50 Back)
- Jack Yu (11-12 100 Breast, 200 Breast, 50 Fly, 100 Fly, 100 IM)
- James Xiao (13-14 50 Free)
- Ryan Wylie (15 & Over 1650 Free)
- Charlie Logan (15 & Over 100 Back and 400 IM)
- Jackson Harvin (15 & Over 200 IM)
4. Short Course 2018/2019 Relay Records
- Girls 15 & Over 800 Free Relay (Sarah Riley, Ella Freeman, Karen Zhao, Lucy
- Boys 15&Over 400 and 800 Free Relays (Charlie Logan, Ryan Wylie, Jackson Harvin, Gavin Jones)
Performance, Most Improved, and Coaches’ Award Winners for Each Group
- Gups: Lauren Neace and Patrick Coverdill (Performance), Elaina Johnston and Kevin Joy (Most Improved), Addie Savage and Lyle Armel (Coaches’ Award)
- Pups: Riley Harding and Vidur Karumbaiah (Performance), Carson Yeomans and Blake Hall (Most Improved), Will Nunnally and Janie Ripps (Coaches)
- Superpups: Ansley Nunnally and Jack Yu (Performance), Kailey Teyner and TJ Lu (Most Improved), Vianney Balber and Luke Phillips (Coaches’)
- Dawgs: Ella Freeman and James Xiao (Performance), Charlotte Foggin and Daniel Huang (Most Improved), Emma Champer and Sam Krosner (Coaches’)
- Senior 2: Addie Hayes (Performance), Lincoln Spear (Most Improved), Bella Lyons (Coaches’)
- Senior 1: Charlie Logan (Performance), Will Foggin (Most Improved), Emily Schulz (Coaches)
Paige Wilson Award:
The Paige Wilson awards is presented in honor of former ABSC star swimmer Paige Wilson, who went on to achieve great success swimming for the University of Georgia. Paige was famous for demonstrating leadership amongst her peers and showing great character in the face of adversity. This award is presented to a Senior 1 swimmer and is voted upon by the swimmers of the Senior 1 group. This year’s award winner was Lucy Yeomans! Thanks for showing great character and leadership Lucy, and congrats!
It was an amazing season for ABSC. Thank for being a part of it, and we can’t wait to see what our next season will hold.