Georgia Tech, Feb. 9-10, 2019.
The 2018-2019 high school swim season is in the books after the conclusion of the season with the GHSA State Championship meet, February 9th and 10th at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Karen Zhao defended her state title performance this year as a sophomore in the 200 freestyle, after winning the same event in 2018 as a freshman for North Oconee High School.
While the ABSC swimmers were competing for their respective school teams over the weekend, the GHSA State Championships is a USA Swimming sanctioned meet, and our ABSC swimmers certainly made both their school teams and their club team here at ABSC very proud. *Note: All schools with ABSC swimmers competing participated in the 5A& below school size classification for GHSA.
Karen’s 200 free victory swim was clocked at 1:52.30 (though she had been 1:51.75 in prelims). This however, was two full seconds faster than her time from 2018 (and almost three seconds for the 1:51.) Zhao also brought home a silver medal in the 100 freestyle, lighting up a 51.55 time in the event. Her 200 free relay placed 7th and her 400 free relay placed 8th for North Oconee.
Jackson Harvin was ABSC’s other state champion on the weekend, placing first in the 200 IM for Jefferson High School in a time of 1:52.62 (1:51.03 in prelims). Harvin also picked up a silver medal in the 100 breaststroke, and swam a new best time of 57.87! Jackson will be a Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket next year, so he swam in his home pool.
Oconee High School received an awesome performance from freshman sensations Olivia DellaTorre and Ella Freeman. DellaTorre placed second in 1:05.55 and Freeman came in 3rd, exactly eleven 100ths of a second later in 1:05.66. With both girls only in their first year of high school, Oconee has an amazingly bright future in the women’s breaststroke.
Other podium performances included:
ABSC teammates Charlie Logan (North Oconee) and Ryan Wylie (Oconee) swapped bronze and silver medal finishes in the 200 free and 500 free, with Logan placing higher in the 200 and Wylie in the 500. The UGA-bound senior Logan had a great performance against the up-and-coming sophomore Wylie.
Lucy Yeomans of Clarke Central moved up big time to place 3rd for the gladiators in the 200 freestyle, with a new best time of 1:53.41.
Along with her breaststroke race, Olivia Dellatorre placed 3rd overall in the 200 IM, with a new best time of 2:07.68.
Macy Mullis of Madison County High School placed 3rd in the 100 backstroke, going 56.03 and serving as the only swimmer from her school represented at the state meet! She’s bringing a bronze medal back to Madison County!
Other ABSC Individual Swimmers of Note:
- Wesley Cline of Athens Academy: 10th place in the 100 fly (53:08), 10th place 100 breast (1:00.13).
- Ava Kennedy of Athens Academy: 5th place 50 free (24.30), 8th place 100 free (54.60)
- Gunnar Churchwell of Clarke Central: 14th place 100 back (1:00.12).
- Will Foggin of Clarke Central: 13th place 200 IM (2:02.49), 6th place 500 free (4:52.36).
- Lucy Yeomans of Clarke Central: 4th place 100 free (52.84) to go along with her podium finish in the 200 free written about above.
- Macy Mullis of Madison County: 4th place 50 free (24.35) to go along with her podium 100 back from earlier.
- Brynn Halbach of North Oconee: 7th place 200 IM (2:13.11), 9th place 100 back (59.54)
- Gavin Jones of North Oconee: 5th place 200 free (1:46.88), 9th place 500 free (5:51.15)
- Henry Logan of North Oconee: 4th place 500 free (4:41.97), 4th place 100 back (53.37).
- Felicia Pursner of North Oconee: 10th place 200 free (1:59.38), 12th place 100 free (55.43).
- Ella Freeman of Oconee County: 9th place 200 free (1:58.82), to go along with her podium 100 breast.
As you can see, it was quite a weekend for the ABSC Dawgs in the pool representing their high school teams. When you train with us, you can expect great things to happen. Go Dawgs!!!
February 19th – 22nd, 2019.
With the 2019 SEC Championship Meet taking place at the Ramsey Center, ABSC’s practice schedule will be a little different Feb.19th-22nd. Read below to see your group’s schedule during that week. Things will be back to normal the following week!
Gups: Normal practice Monday and Wednesday, no practice Friday.
Pups: Normal practice Monday, no practice Wednesday, practice at the YWCO on Friday from 5-6 PM.
Superpups: Normal practice Monday, no practice Tuesday or Thursday, practice at Ramsey from 5:15-6:30 AM on Wednesday and Friday.
Dawgs: Normal practice Monday, practice from 5:15-6:30 AM at Ramsey Tuesday – Friday. **5:15-7:00 AM on Thursday**
Senior 2: Normal practice Monday, no practice Tuesday or Thursday, practice at Ramsey from 5:15-6:30 AM on Wednesday and Friday.
Senior 1: Normal practice Monday, practice from 5:15-6:30 AM at Ramsey Tuesday-Friday. **5:15-7:00 AM on Thursday**
Masters: Normal practice Monday, Wednesday, and Sunday. 5:15-6:30 AM at Ramsey on Tuesday, 5:15-7:00 AM at Ramsey on Thursday.
Thanks everyone, and GOOO DAWGS!!! (Both the ABSC and UGA variety).
Athens Ga — 2/1/2019
As the high school swimming down for the 2018/2019 season, the schools from the Athens/Oconee area came together for their annual area championship. Once again, ABSC swimmers impressed, with names to be found all over the leader boards!
Oconee High School came out victorious on the boys side, while North Oconee finished ahead in the ladies division. North Oconee came away with the overall victory, with a grand total of 370.5 points. Oconee County finished second, and Clarke Central, Athens Academy, Cedar Shoals, and Prince Avenue finished out the scoring in that order.
Below is a list of ABSC Swimmers and their accomplishments for each school! It was an awesome show.
- Wesley Cline: 3rd in the 100 fly, 2nd in the 100 breast. Both best times, and both state qualifying times
- Daniel Huang: 4th in the 200 free, 4th in the 100 fly. The 200 free was a state time
- Colton Kennedy: 6th in the 50 free, 7th in the 100 fly.
- Trent Dennison: 12th in the 50 free, 8th in the 100 back.
- Anna Schmidt: 10th in the 100 free, 5th in the 100 back
Clarke Central High School
- Connor Allen: 7th in both the 200 IM and 500 free
- Harrison Carmack: 9th in the 200 IM, 10th in the 100 breast
- Gunnar Churchwell: 7th in the 200 free, 5th in the 100 back
- Anna Demarco: 7th in the 200 IM, 16th in the 100 free
- Bella Demarco: 14th in the 100 free, 9th in the 500 free
- Will Foggin: 2nd in the 200 free, 5th in the 100 fly. 200 free was a state qualifying time.
- Lauren Haines: 9th in the 200 free and 100 fly
- Gretchen Hinger: 8th in the 50 free, 3rd in the 500 free
- Ben Hiss: 5th in the 200 IM, 4th in the 100 breast. The 100 breast was a state qualifying time.
- Lucy Yeomans: 1st in the 100 fly, 3rd in the 200 IM. Both were state qualifying times
- Makenna Engels: 3rd in the 100 fly, 2nd in the 100 back. The fly was a state time.
- Brynn Halbach: 2nd in the 200 IM and 100 breast. The 200 IM was a state qualifying time
- Gavin Jones: 1st in both the 200 IM and 100 back. Both were state times.
- Siya Kanaan: 2nd in the 100 fly, 5th in the 200 free. The fly was a state time
- Sam Krosner: 3rd in the 200 IM, 2nd in the 500 free. The IM was a state time.
- Aidan Landrum: 4th in the 500 free, 8th in the 200 free.
- Henry Logan: 3rd in the 200 free, 2nd in the 100 back. Both were state times.
- Charlie Logan: 1st in both the 100 fly and 100 breast. Both were state times.
- Bella Lyons: 5th in the 100 fly, 8th in the 100 free.
- Simone Phillips: 18th in the 100 free, 10th in the 100 breast
- Felicia Pursner: 1st in the 100 free, second in the 200 free. Both were state times.
- Katherine Xiao: 4th in the 200 IM, 3rd in the 100 breast
- Karen Zhao: 1st in the 50 free and 500 free. Both were state times.
- Olivia DellaTorre: 1st in the 200 IM and 100 breast. Both were state times
- Will Donaldson: 11th in the 200 free, 12th in the 100 breast
- Ella Freeman: 1st in the 200 free, 2nd in the 500 free. Both were state times.
- Erin Leonard: 4th in the 100 fly, 6th in the 100 back
- Ryan Wylie: 1st in the 200 free and 500 free. Both were state times
- Maddy Wilson: 10th in the 50 free, 6th in the 100 breast.