A team who eats together, wins together!
If you’ve been around ABSC, you know we FULLY embrace this motto. We all know swimmers LOVE to eat, and we enjoy eating together. We experienced this with our pre-season potluck, and we’ve got another chance coming up!
One Monday evening each month, ABSC coaches will nominate one swimmer from each group to be the “Deli Dawg Swimmer of the Month.” The Deli Dawg swimmers are selected by their coaches based on the following criteria:
- Being an exemplary teammate
- Showing strong performance in practice and meets that month/since the last Deli Dawg night.
- Rising to challenges or overcoming adversity
The first Deli Dawg Night of our 2018/2019 season is Monday, Sept. 24th.
At the beginning of practice, the coaches will gather the swimmers together and explain why each swimmer is receiving the Deli Dawg award that month. The swimmer will receive a free meal pass to Jason’s Deli on the spot!
Then, the swimmers will pratice (with altered times for some groups), and will make their way over to Jason’s Deli where we’ll all eat as a team! Here’s what practice will look like for each group on Deli Dawg Nights:
- Gups: Normal Practice time. Arrive at Deli by 6:30
- Pups: Normal Practice time. Arrive at Deli by 6:50
- Supers: Dryland Only practice, finish by 6:30. Arrive at Deli by 6:50
- Dawgs: Practice until 6:40. Arrive at Deli by 7:00
- Senior 2: Practice moved up, begins at 5:30, swim until 6:35. Arrive at Deli by 7:00
- Senior 1: Practice until 6:45. Arrive at Deli by 6:10
To have an idea, here is a list of last season’s winning swimmers: 2017/2018 Deli Dawg Winners.
See you at the deli, and Go Dawgs!
Athens — Mid-September
Our new season is underway, and with that comes our first meet week of the season! ABSC’s annual Red & Black meet, a team favorite, is about 2 weeks away! As such, here’s some info for the meet, and how you sign up!
Meet Details: ABSC’s Red & Black Intrasquad Meet
This is a full – team meet. We expect EVERY swimmer to participate. If you’re unable to attend, please discuss with your group coach. Again, attendance is expected. We expect attendance at 3 main meets: The Red&Black, The Classic City Quad, and the Northeast Divisional Championships. Here are some more details:
- Thursday, September 27th. Warmup at 5:00 PM, Meet begins at 5:40 PM.
- Team will be divided in two, with a Red squad facing off against a Black squad. Coaches and swimmers will divide, and try to conquer.
- Meet will be done around 8 PM, give or take a few minutes.
Big Dawg/ Little Dawg Pairings
Every swimmer aged 10 or younger will be paired with a 13&older swimmer who will serve as their mentor for the meet! Big Dawgs are expected to help, encourage, and support Little Dawgs during the meet. They will be instructed on how to do this!
- Returning 11-12 year-old swimmers will be assigned to either help a Big Dawg, or to serve as a peer-support buddy of a new 11-12 year-old swimmer on the team.
- In some instances, a Big Dawg may have two Little Dawg buddies, and vice versa
We had great success with this last fall, and will employ it for our first couple of meets again this fall.
This season’s meet will be more of the sprint variety! The following events will be offered:
- One swim of each stroke: 25s for 8&Under, 50s for every other age group
- A 200 IM: 10&Under, 11-12, 13-14, and 15-18
- A 4×25 (100 yard) freestyle relay for 8&under, 4×50 (200 yard) freestyle relay for all other age groups.
- Red & Black Caps. Every participating swimmer in the meet will receive a Red or Black ABSC cap depending on their team, and they will be expected to wear it.
- Coaches will dress up in their teams colors wearing goofy outfits. Swimmers are also expected to wear either Red or Black clothing, and spirit wear of the excessive/goofy variety is very much encouraged.
How to Sign Up:
To sign up for meets with ABSC, you simply fill out a google form when we provide it letting us know your intentions. Note*** YOU WILL NOT BE PLACED IN THE MEET UNLESS YOU SIGN UP*** Sign up here: Meet Sign-up Form.
Go Dawgs! Let’s kick off another great season!