February 12th, 2018.
Here comes ABSC! Starting this weekend, ABSC’s 14&under swimmers will journey down to Georgia Tech and race the fastest competition from around the state of Georgia! But this year, they’ll face a brand new challenge.
ABSC has enjoyed massive success at the 14&under state meet over the last few years, both in short course and long course! Over the last 4 years, ABSC hadn’t placed lower than 3rd in the medium-sized team division… that is until last summer!
At the long course meet last summer, ABSC moved for the first time into the “Large Team” division at the state meet. By surpassing the 200 swimmer mark, ABSC was reorganized up a level, and had to compete against the largest teams in the state! Despite the new challenge, ABSC still placed 6th in the new division last summer! Now, ABSC swimmers will go at it with the large teams for the first time in Short Course!
Over the Course of the weekend, ABSC will have some key swims to keep an eye on (NOTE** All following data comes from a preliminary psych sheet. A new one with updated times will be posted on Tuesday, so some of this information may change). Below is a list of all swimmers seeded in a scoring position at the meet as of the first round of entries. The top 10 score for 10&under, 11, and 12 year-olds. 13-14 are combined, and top 20 score.
- Jackson Bates is seeded 3rd in both the 100 and 200 breast.
- Eileen Brook is a 5 seed right now in the 50, 100, and 200 backstroke, 9th in the 200 and 400 IM, and 10th in the 500 free.
- Simon Casey is 5th seed for the 1000 free, 7th in the 100 and 200 fly, an 8 seed for the 50 fly, and the 9th seed for the 200 back,
- Olivia Dellatorre is 18th seed in the 200 breast.
- Ella Dillon is seeded 7th in the 50 back and 8th in the 50 breast.
- Parker Fagrell is #2 seed in the 1000 free, the 7th seed in the 50 back and 200 back, and the 200 free, and the 8 seed in the 50 and 100 free.
- Will Foggin is 19th in the 400 IM, and he will be seeded top 10 in the 500 with an updated time from high school state.
- Gavin Jones is 11th in the 500 free, 15th in the 1000 free, 16th in the 400 IM, 20th in the 200 fly and 200 IM.
- Henry Logan is a 9 seed for the 1000 free, 12th in the 200 back, 17th in the 200 free, and 19th in the 100 free.
- Ansley Nunnally is seeded 1st overall in the 50 and 100 fly, and the 200 free, is a 2-seed in the 50, 100, and 500 free, 3rd in the 200 IM, 4th in the 100 IM, 5th in the 50 breast, 50 back and 100 back,
- Ryan Xiao is the #4 seed in the 1000 free, and 9th seed in the 500 free.
- Jack Yu is 7th in the 50 breast and 10th in the 200 fly.
- Karen Zhao comes in at a 6-seed in the 100 free, 9th in the 200 free, 11th in the 200 IM, 12th in the 50 free, 14th in the 500 free, 19th in the 200 breast
- 400 free relays: 13-14 boys seeded 6th, 11-12 girls seeded 7th, 11-12 boys seeded 9th
- 200 free relays: 11-12 girls seeded 7th, 10&under boys seeded 6th.
- 400 Medley Relays: 13-14 Boys seeded 6th, 12&under boys seeded 8th
- 200 Medley Relays: 13-14 boys seeded 8th, 11-12 boys seeded 8th, 10&under girls seeded 7th
Below is a list of all the swimmers competing in individual events for the meet.
- 13-14 Girls: Emma Champer, Jenna Champer, Olivia DellaTorre, Ella Freeman, Emily Schulz, Karen Zhoa
- 13-14 Boys: Julian Attaway, Jackson Bates, Will Foggin, Gavin Jones, Henry Logan, Payton Morrision, McKee Thorsen, James Xiao
- 11-12 Girls: Eileen Broo, Aubree-Clare Flores, Ansley Halbach, Rebecca Pursner, Ginny Thorsen
- 11-12 Boys: Eli Bates, Simon Casey, Parker Fagrell, Ryan Xiao, Jack Yu
- 10&Under Girls and Boys: Ella Dillon, Ansley Nunnally, Kailey Teyner, David Hiss, Luke Phillips, Torin Trotter
Good luck to all of our ABSC swimmers! GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once again, the Ramsey Center will be the hosting facility for the CCSA collegiate swimming conference championships. You can read more about the combo-conference that rents the pool every year here:
As such, ABSC will need to rearrange our practice schedule this week as we do most years! Here is a group by/group breakdown of how we’ll practice February 12th – 16th! (NOTE — THIS SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. WE WILL NOTIFY ASAP):
- Gups: Unaffected
- Pups: Normal practice Monday. Tuesday and Thursday, 4-5 PM at the YWCO. No practice Friday.
- Superpups: Normal practice Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday, 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey, state qualifiers only. Thursday, 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey, whole group. Friday, 5:30-7@ Ramsey, non-state qualifiers only.
- Dawgs: Normal practice Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday – Friday 5:30-7 AM at Ramsey.
- Senior 2: Monday and Tuesday normal Schedule, Wednesday TBD, Thursday 5:30-7:00 AM at Ramsey.
- Senior 1: Monday and Tuesday normal schedule, Wednesday – Friday 5:15-7:00 AM at Ramsey.
- Masters: Monday – Wednesday, normal schedule. Thursday, 5:30-7:00 AM at Ramsey.
ALSO NOTE*** Our February Deli Dawg night has been pushed back 1 week! It is no longer next Monday, February 12th. It will now be Monday, February 19th due to the wacky schedule next week.
Cherokee Aquatic Center, Jan 27th and Georgia Tech, Feb. 2&3.
For the 2nd consecutive weekend, ABSC has swimmers have put on a show down at a high school state championship meet, effectively putting the whole state on notice!
GHSA State Championships:
ABSC swimmers were all over the place down at Georgia Tech the GHSA State Championship meet, and
The GHSA meet was headlined by state championships from John Morgan McDonald (Sr. – Prince Ave. Christian), Charlie Logan (Jr. – North Oconee), and Karen Zhao (Fr. – North Oconee) of ABSC’s Senior 1 group!
In fact, the format of the meet actually featured Logan and McDonald racing one another in the same heat of finals of the 500 freestyle. McDonald represents Prince Avenue Christian which is in the “1A – 3A” division, while Logan represents North Oconee which competed in the “4A-5A” division.
Logan took first place overall in the event and in his division, with a blazing fast time of 4:35.21. He also finished 2nd overall in the 200 free with a time of 1:40.41, second in the 200 freestyle relay, and 6th overall in the 400 freestyle relay.
McDonald finished first overall in his division for the 500 free with a time of 4:42.72. That swim for McDonald was also the first state championship in the history of the school! It was also another team record for the senior, who already has the majority of Prince Avenue’s records. He also finished 8th overall in the 100 butterfly. He plans to announce his college choice soon.
Only a freshman, Karen Zhao won the 4A – 5A division in the 200 freestyle, finishing in a time of 1:54.69. She also finished 2nd in her division in the 100 free (52.54). Winner her division in the 200 freestyle as a freshman is quite the accomplishment!
Other ABSC finalists in the GHSA meet include:
- Brendan Bowman (Clarke Central): 10th overall 50 free, 15th 100 free.
- Caedmon Churchwell (Clarke Central): 7th overall 200 IM, 9th place 100 back.
- Gunnar Churchwell (Clarke Central): finaled in both relays
- Owen Churchwell (Clarke Central): 2nd Place over all 100 free, 2nd place 100 breast.
- Will Foggin (Clarke Central): 8th overall 500 freestyle
- Grace Lang (Clarke Central): finaled in both relays
- Lucy Yeomans (Clarke Cenral): 10th place overall 100 free, 14th place 100 back.
- Kate Massey (Commerce): 6th overall 200 IM, 5th overall 100 fly.
- Jackson Harvin (Jefferson): 3rd place overall 200 free, 13th overall 200 IM.
- Macy Mullis (Madison County): 3rd place overall 50 free, 2nd place 100 back.
- Lily Courchaine (Morgan County): finaled in both relays
- Samuel Ash (North Oconee): finaled in both relays
- Brynn Halbach (North Oconee): 10th overall 500 free, 12th overall 200 IM
- Siya Kanaan (North Oconee): finaled in 400 free relay
- Henry Logan (North Oconee): 6th overall 500 free
- Dhruv Prakash (North Oconee): 12th overall 100 back
- Felicia Pursner (North Oconee): 14th overall 100 fly, 16th 200 IM
- Erin Osborne (Oconee County): 7th overall 500 free, 6th overall 200 free.
- Lauren Szymanski (Oconee County): finaled in both relays
- Matthew Colquitt (Prince Ave. Christian): 14th place 50 free, 11th place 100 free.
GICAA State Championships:
While most of our swimmers competed in the GHSA championships this past weekend, 2 weekends ago ABSC swimmers from Westminster Christian Academy (Watkinsville) lit up the GICAA high school lower division champs up in Canton at the Cherokee Aquatic Center.
The GICAA division of high school athletics is devised of private christian schools schools statewide. While smaller than GHSA, it still boasts some strong athletes, and it saw ABSC swimmers featuring strongly in it’s championships as well.
Anna Ash headlined the meet for ABSC swimmers, claiming first place overall in the 200 (1:57.27) free and the 100 back (1:00.60). Jackson Bates won a stamp championship of his own in the 100 breaststroke (1:04.91), and took second overall in the 200 IM. Ash is a senior for ABSC, and has been one of the fastest swimmers in the region for a while. Bates, while only a freshman, is an up-and-coming star in the breaststroke events, and has a bright future ahead.
All in all the state championships at all levels proved very kind for ABSC, and once again, our swimmers made their presence felt all over the state!
The next state championship on the horizon is of the USA Swimming variety – the Georgia 14&under state championships! More to come soon!